Sunday, February 7, 2016

Note on cam profiles

I was asked about cam profiles by a reader called Mark. Mark has a Tiger 900 and says it is fitted with'green'cams. I looked in my factory manual and see the cam profiles are listed as the same as the Thunderbird. Here's a photo, showing 'blue'  lift 7mm and duration the same.


These are the'blue' profiles. I visited the factory in 1995 and I remember seeing they had a little display stand showing the three cam profiles then in use. They were color coded blue green and red, with green being the most common across their modular range. As i have previously written, this is the profile used for the early Trophy 1200 as well. Mark may have a bike that a previous owner swapped to Trident/Daytona/Sprint/Speed Triple cam spec. I believe cams had a blob of red, green or blue paint applied by the factory  to identify them when new. However, the paint on my bikes' camshafts has faded or dispersed over the years so I can't confirm this. 

Here is a photo of the manual page contrasting Super III (red)and Speed Triple (green) cam lift and duration.  



3 comments:

SJ & OCD said...

hi just found your blog and am purchasing a 93 Trophy 1200 "Trixy" so has been an interesting read on all the possible niggles i may encounter as i run her again after 4yrs off the road having had a test run the power delivery is sweet and smooth nothing like the scary ride i was expecting of such a big machine more akin to the BMW 450cc & 650cc /7's i'm accustomed to riding being such a rare and bullet proof machine i know she will be a keeper for years to come

LeT said...

I can understand your comparison. It is a well balanced and smooth machine when on the open road. It seems to me, it takes a good long ride top reveal the true strength of the bike. It's like the journey needs to soak into ones bones. Ruby has 60800 miles now, making 23000 in my ownership. Still going well though ready for a service. I wish you many happy mikes on your Trixie.

SJ & OCD said...

After 2yrs of ownership and countless hrs of fettling I finally had Trixy in a reliable state back in Nov '18 to contemplate taking her to Europe.

That never happened however as on the night of 10th Nov she was Stolen and run round Liverpool for a Month before she was found BURNT out on a disused railway line ����������

However I hastily purchased a 900cc Mk2 Trophy Allie and set about putting all my knowledge of these fine Hinckley machines into practice making her better than the 1200 (well mechanically anyway ����)

So far as of Feb 2019 I've gained 7 mph on average over the stock MK2, and a whopping 11mpg better than The Mk1 1200.

With the lower weight the loss in power 111bhp (dyno'd) to 98bhp (factory claimed) I still get as much enjoyment/thrills when "playing" as I ever did on the big 1200.

Three things for me to do now, check what cams are in my 98, a change over to coil on stick and fitting a later 40a alternator should see my Mpg gain over 50mpg average