|'orrible manky rubbish but ...|
|... rescuable and treated to new grommets|
|Now +25mm and robust|
|First attempt left, second attempt right.|
I cut a length of 3mm aluminium this time instead of the 1mm sheet I used first time around. I put a curve into the new bracing strip so it would hold the rubber sheet in an arc around the profile of the tyre, helping it to resist the effect of wind at speed. I should have been more confident in making the bend really but it does the job.
Riding the bike over the following week showed that the 'tide mark' of muck now stops well clear of the lower edge of the oil cooler. Also, the replacement mudflap has yet to get caught by the front wheel. I've noticed that when I reverse the bike out of a parking spots that used to result in a gravelly graunching noise, all is smooth and silent now. A pleasing fix to niggle number two.
It was at this time I realised that the oiliness of the left-hand fork leg could no longer be dismissed as a bit of mist. It was a full-blown leak with fork oil accumulating running down the fork slider to the left-hand brake caliper. So it needed addressing as a matter of urgency. And then I got a puncture in my new rear tyre. Oh dear ...