Monday, September 9, 2013

T300s are old bikes

In my last post, I reflected on the fact that although I still think of my 1994 Daytona 900 as a new bike, quite plainly it is not. Just like me, it used to be young, and I can just about remember what it was like.

Age. It catches up with us all. A teeny bit at a time, perhaps, but that youthful flexibility gradually ebbs away. One becomes conscious of it when for example picking something up from the floor and, just before fingertips make contact, a sharp little twinge in the lower back intrudes. Or perhaps you have been sitting on the floor (almost certainly a rare event in itself these days), find your legs don't want to straighten out, and you are suddenly aware that standing up takes a time to achieve.

Well, motorcycles are also subject to the effects of time. T300s were in production from the 1991 Trophy 1200 to the 2003 Trophy 1200, with Daytonas, Tridents, Speed Triples, Tigers, Thunderbirds and Adventurers in between. So the most senior are 22 years old, and a full decade has already passed under the wheels of even the most junior. But it isn't really the rigours of motion I refer to. After all, a determined rider could easily cover 30,000 miles in a single year on a brand-new bike. No, the effects of time I refer to are more insidious than that. In some ways, putting on the miles can be a benefit.

The atmosphere always contains some moisture. Where I live this is not a revelation - the moisture is often visible beating on my visor! That dampness gradually infuses itself into the fabric of the machine and any uncoated components inevitably start to oxidize. After all, 22 years translates into 264 months of opportunity for corrosion to grow from a discolouration into a full-blown seized fasteners. Or electrical connections that fail to connect any more. But it isn't all about rust, verdigris or furred up ally.

Consider the carburettors on my 1991 Trophy 1200. Each float bowl has rubber components that have sat in petrol for no less than 8,030 days. For the past three years, the effects of this treatment has been made more severe with the addition of ethanol to UK fuel. The rubber ducts connecting the carbs to the head have had to cope with 192,720 hours of ozone and fuel vapour, and extremes of temperature and expansion/contraction cycles that go with them.

Yes, t-w-e-n-t-y-t-w-o years is a l-o-n-g time for any vehicle to be around. Clearly, there are a fair number of bikes still around of double that age. I'm not sure what the design life of a contemporary motorcycle is supposed to be. I'd guess five years because that is the cycle for introducing new models. Maybe ten years for guaranteed spare parts availability. Those older machines have survived certainly because of a combination of the importance of longevity for the designers and the investment of care by previous owners. Or being parked up in a dry garage for years because of a previous owner's change of life circumstances. Luck, in other words.

The point is, T300s are now almost certainly surviving a fair chunk of time beyond the point at which most machines are designed to last. And even given that breakdowns and general durability were high on the list of priorities for the T300 design team, not even they could forestall changes in petrol composition or stop the effects of ozone on rubber.

These bikes, for all their many merits, are not for the faint hearted. They are tall, solid, full-fat motorcycling experience. I think anyone deciding to take on an early Hinckley bike should do so conversant of the fact that they are no longer new. They must respect the machine for the virtues of its design when new, and also be prepared to tackle its age-related foibles as they come to light.

For all that age brings with it a dimming of the raw senses, there are fuller tastes to enjoy from the longer view made possible by experience. It's not just wines, cheeses and whiskies that develop flavour with time. Those doing the tasting can spend more time enjoying them, without being in the tearing hurry of youth.

I remember being in too much of a rush to check my chain tension as often as I should have, and oiling being a case of drowning it once a month in a guilty splurge, rather than a more regular and measured activity. Now I can take time to walk around my Trophy before a ride, because I haven't left it until the 11th minute of the 11th hour to set off, and not just look at the chain but maybe oiling the control points. And feeling the result with a smile. Or polishing the screen. Or what have you.

At a steam fair, I once saw a really old engine with the dull gleam that can only be obtained with years of the application of an engineers oily rag. I bore a brass plaque:

If I rest, I rust
If I rust, I bust
No rest, no rust, no bust

So miles can make smiles more than just for the rider.

1 comment:

Polar2 said...

Guilty as charged!

Yes, I confess I bought my 22 year old Trophy thinking it would run forever with nothing but an oil change and a quick rub down with an oily rag. Yes, I complained and rubbished Triumph when the 22 year old coils gave up the ghost. Moaned again when the 22 year old carb inlet rubbers perished and became home to a mossy/fungal hybrid life form. I practically tear my hair out with rage (after removing helmet of course!) every time it doesn't start first jab of the button because the electrics are powered by an early Alessandro Volta prototype which I still haven't replaced.

You're so right. It's an old bike. But in many ways it's not! I totally forget it's age when I'm actually riding it. I parked up on Sunday at Hawes (a well known bikers meeting place in the Yorkshire Dales) next to a very trick and blingy Aprilia RSV and my poor Trophy looked so so old in comparison. To be honest I felt deflated and a little embarrassed. Then I got back on and rode off and it was all forgotten before I'd changed into second. This is a lovely bike to ride. As an aside I used to own a beautiful RSV myself a few years ago but all I ever did was clean it and look at it. I never once enjoyed riding it. Anyway, back to The Dales. For the whole afternoon nothing came past me. I made good quick progress with no dramas, sometimes just staying in top and riding the torque, other times giving her some stick and racing through the gears. Bliss either way and one big smile on my face that lasted the rest of the day! Old bike? Nah.

Brilliant post by the way :-) Very thought provoking and poetic. Just needed a photo of you bending down to reach a spanner with you holding your back to finish it off! As for the age thing, I was working on the Trophy in the garden recently trying to free a seized fastener under the fairing which I'd had to lay on the grass to access when I realised I'd been laying there a while. And predicting the pain of getting back up I considered just staying there and admiring a nearby flowerbed. Oh, I felt old!

I think I'm pretty much used to it's weight and top heaviness now although my first encounter with a mini roundabout was a little scary. With some stiffer springs in the forks I think I'll be pretty happy with it's handling although the motor will always be the star for me. How does the 1200 engine compare to your 900? I keep reading about the 'character' of Triumph triples so I'm wondering what I'm missing. A ride on my Dad's Suzuki GT380 triple many years ago is probably not a good comparison!

Enough of my blathering. As I said, great post. You really should have a go at writing a book.