Friday, November 2, 2012

A Trip to Trevor

I took advantage of the slightly less appalling weather today to visit Sprint Manufacturing at Upton Lovell in Wiltshire. Although the air temperature is pretty low now, with the damp taking effect, it was a nice run out. The sun lit up the gold and russets in the trees along with the remaining green leaves along the way.
Trevor is the Chief at Sprint Manufacturing. His premises are well off the beaten track, business being overwhelmingly made up of web and telephone mail order. It's not a big trip for me to get there in person though and a nice ride to boot. I found him in the midst of applying a gel coat to a hugger he was making for an Australian customer. A top quality job, needless to say. He told me the classic fairings side of his business are popular in Japan, to the tune of an order a week in the summer.
Anyway, Trevor has helped me out on many occasions, supplying good advice, good parts and good humour at all the right times. Several times on previous visits, I'd said I'd bring my 1200 for him to see when it was finished. I'm sure he's seen dozens of the things before so it was more of an excuse for me to get out and seek approval from the master than a case of me showing him something new.
So I set the bike up on its centre stand, started the motor and asked him what he thought. Here he is, focusing his full force of his mystical powers to commune with the inner workings of a T300 in action:

A visit to Sprint Manufacturing 2

He was impressed with the quietness of the motor compared with others of its ilk. He told me the early die-cast cases (with access hatch for sprag and alternator drive gears) are noticeably quieter than the later Cosworth pressure sandcast cases. I forgot to say that the 1991 bikes have foam-lined fairing panels too, dampening the sound further. And the result. Well, was it in doubt? I think it met with his approval.

A visit to Sprint Manufacturing 1

The bike had run beautifully all the way there. Irritatingly, I had more fueling problems on the way home. Maybe the bike was sad to have had to leave the cosseting world of Sprint. But seriously, I think I've got four issues to deal with, two of which are probably self-inflicted. 1/ The loose sheets of liner are wrapping themselves around the fuel tap's integral filter 2/ the fuel tap prime position isn't passing any fuel, 3/ the angle of the extended fuel pipes and filters I fitted seems to be causing at least one hose to fold. 4/ The extended pipes are also putting pressure on the vacuum pipe to the rear of the fuel tap. So I shall address all these issues before taking her out on the road again.

No comments: