Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Running on two cylinders

When I started my Trophy 12 for its MOT, I was disappointed to find that she dropped onto two cylinders after a couple of minutes. She was running beautifully the night before. Lovely even beat. What could have happened? I had my appointment booked though and thought it might be some muck in the carbs or maybe something that would clear as the engine warmed up. 

Not so. Warming up didn't make any difference. Maybe one of my coils had failed. Each coil controls a pair of cylinders so it was possible. However, the two cylinders that were not running were numbers 3 and 4. The pipes on these cylinders were cold. One coil runs cylinders 1 and 4, the other runs cylinders 2 and 3: it could not be a coil/ignition problem. So attention turned to the fuelling side of the equation.
 
I had thought that the two fuel lines were to ensure an adequate feed of fuel at high speed, and that they fed a common gallery for all four carburettors. This was an assumption. Looking at the carbs, I now see that one fuel pipe feeds cylinders 1 and 2, the other feeds cylinders 3 and 4.

To cut a long story short, I found that I had pinched one of the two fuel lines that runs from the fuel tap to the carbs. The previous night, I had not bolted the fuel tank in place. Of course, I wouldn't take to the streets with the fuel tank insecure so I had fastened it down the following morning.

To remedy the problem, I took a close look at the routing of the fuel lines. One of them pushes on to the rear of the tap, the other pushes on from the right-hand side. I had used much thicker fuel lines to replace the hardened originals. This meant that they need more room to physically fit in tight spaces and require bends with a wider radius. I had inadvertently routed the bike's wiring loom along the main frame tube exactly where the rear fuel line would need to turn when the tank is fastened. So I solved the problem by pulling the wiring loom further around the frame tube and securing it with an additional cable tie. That gave the fuel line sufficient clearance to bend around the frame tube without too much difficulty.

The result: all working beautifully. The engine's creamy smooth thrust was restored, allowing me to start enjoying the bike in the next few days. It was still very much in shake-down mode for fault finding and rectification. A great feeling.


DSC05571

No comments: