Thursday, July 12, 2012

45 degree street elbow saves the day

Preferred location of the oil pressure
sensor, to the left rear of the sump
I'd found a problem with the place I wanted to fit an oil pressure sensor. The sensor is a relatively bulky item and it fouled on the junction between the right-hand exhaust and exhaust link pipe.
Unfortunately, the sensor fouled on
the left-hand exhaust pipe.
I had fitted the sensor on a 90 degree adaptor. I thought about rotating it so that the sensor ran parallel with the back of the engine but that would have made it necessary to ditch a support bracket for the exhaust that bolts to the rear of the sump.

Exhaust support bracket visible at the top left of this image,
bolted to the rear of the sump. 
The silencers are very heavy and so I was reticent to get rid of the support bracket.

I did a bit of measuring and thought my preferred mounting location might work if I could find a 45 degree adaptor. Some hunting around on the internet showed a few suppliers with right part - 1/8th NPT male-female fitting, described as a 'street elbow'. I found an agricultural engineer in Northern Ireland selling hydraulic parts that had some, apparently galvanized. I ordered them up and was pleased to find, after a test fitting, that it was just the job giving approx 10mm of clearance from the exhaust. It'll still be hot there but an awful lot better than if it was in direct contact.

The underside of the engine is a harsh environment - heat and road muck will combine to make life difficult for all components here. I decide to give the sensor and 45 degree elbow a coat of Smoothrite to help them cope.

Similarly, the oil filter housing will get a lot of stick. I found quite a lot of pitting in the large circular cover for the filter so I gave it a good degrease, scrub and coat of paint to fend off the worst of the weather. New O rings and filter plus steel washers that locate either side of the filter. The steel washers were missing when I dismantled the bike. They protect the rubber grommets in the centre of the filter.



 Filter cover in place, drain plug with a new copper washer. 


No comments: